What is Resolve?
Resolve is a free, open source URL shortener that can be downloaded and installed on your own webserver with just one click of a button!
It is written in PHP 5.3, supports multiple database backends (currently MySQL via PHP's Mysql and Mysqli classes) and is easily extendable if you wish to use other types of storage (e.g. CouchDB, MariaDB, PostgreSQL or others).
Some of the main features are:
- Statistics - Track number of daily and total visits for each URL, view hours when visitors are most active as well as countries, browsers and platforms your visitors are coming from.
- Custom aliases - Allow users to choose their own names for the shortened URLs. yourdomain.com/my-new-puppy is always nicer than yourdomain.com/XyZ if you want to share a link with your friends!
- User accounts - Enable user registrations allowing each user to manage all their URLs from one convenient location.
- Google Analytics - Enter your tracking id during the installation to enable instant Google Analytics support for your website. Google Analytics gives you fresh insights into how visitors use your site, how they arrived on your site, and how you can keep them coming back.
- API - Want to build an application utilizing your shortener? Nothing could be easier! Simply tick the "API" option during the installation and you can shorten URLs by simply POSTing them to yourdomain.com/api!
- QR codes - Share your URLs with other users as scannable QR codes.
Emails and passwords of registered users are hashed using salt, randomly generated during the installation, meaning that the same data in different copies of Resolve will be stored differently and is much safer than the likes of Linkedin!
This software is licensed under the Apache License 2.0.
Describing legal documents in non-legalese is fraught with potential for misinterpretation. Notwithstanding the text of the actual license itself is legally binding and authoritative.
That said, here's what the Apache license says in layman's terms:
It allows you to:
- freely download and use this software, in whole or in part, for personal, company internal, or commercial purposes;
- use this software in packages or distributions that you create.
It forbids you to:
- redistribute any piece of this software without proper attribution;
- use any marks owned by Andris Causs in any way that might state or imply that he endorses your distribution;
- use any marks owned by Andris Causs in any way that might state or imply that you created Resolve.
It requires you to:
- include a copy of the license in any redistribution you may make that includes this software;
- provide clear attribution to Andris Causs for any distributions that include this software.
It does not require you to:
- include the source of the this software itself, or of any modifications you may have made to it, in any redistribution you may assemble that includes it;
- submit changes that you make to the software back to Andris Causs (though such feedback is encouraged).
See the installation section for a detailed guide on how to set up and configure Resolve.
See the libraries section for a list of open-source software used in the development of this project.